Saturday, November 14, 2009

And Diesel Makes Four

Stephan picked up the new fourth member of our little family today! I'm so sad I couldn't be with him, though. Stephan is already out of control...

We have always talked about a furry friend for Bentley, our Yorkie but knew it was only do-able once we had a house...with a backyard. Now that we are getting the house, it was on the table to actually move forward with getting the second dog. Stephan's only stipulation was that it had to be a "man dog." Something he wasn't embarrassed to walk. (I had to get Bentley a camouflage collar just so Stephan could be seen with him). His dream dog was a German Shepherd. German Shepherds are also another military man's "accessory." Much like guns, tattoos, and apparently super ridiculously huge flat screen tv's (if you've been to more than a few soldier's house/room, you know what I'm talking about).

I, on the other hand have always been of the small dog persuasion. My logic was always Big Dog = Big Poop, Little Dog = Little Poop. I was also afraid of being overpowered being kind of a small person, and of the H-A-I-R. I literally lay in bed at night thinking about the dog hair, the daily vacuuming, the brushing, and the fact that is will probably keep my mom from ever visiting me.( All negatives).

I went back and forth, thinking about surprising Stephan with a pup for Christmas but was stunned by the price. But I eventually succumbed to the "I just got back from Iraq" guilt Stephan put on me. It's hard to deny a guy who just came back from his second tour in Iraq and who is such a wonderful, generous husband.

Stephan stumbled upon Kerstone Shepherds, not far from Manhattan, KS where he's stationed. They are SUPER legit and really know what they are doing (which is important with this breed). Stephan went to "visit" and left with a deposit down. He's been a goner ever since.

He visited the pup, almost weekly and we went ahead and named him so he could begin to get accustomed to it. We were torn between Riley (after Ft. Riley, our first base together) or Diesel (as in the cologne, not as in Vin). We chose Diesel by default because the father of the pups ended up being named Riley and we didn't want to be copycats. It made me happy to see how happy it made Stephan.

I'm happy too (I'm one of those girls who has puppy fever all the time and wants to save every dog), but also very nervous. I'm also sad to miss bonding time for him with me and Bentley. We will see...

Baby Diesel looking like a bear cub...how could I resist???

Growing, growing

Stephan in love:) He's literally the perfect looking German.



Diesel and his brother!



Coming home for the first time:) Yes, he's asleep in my husbands lap in the car.


Home for the first time! Festive red collar.

My wonderful husband who insisted on a "man dog" stopped by PetCo after picking Diesel up and left with professional pics of the dog. Did I mention they are Christmas themed??? And did I mention he dropped $60??? Yeah...

Excuse the ghetto screen shot...literally the perfect German!

Yeah, he's in a Christmas present...

Yeah, he has a Santa hat on...this looks like its from a dog calendar or something...Out of control!

MY only stipulations were that he would not be allowed on the furniture or bed (I just bought nice bedding) and he had to be brushed daily and we had to vacuum and mop daily. Period. Guess who will end up doing these things, though???


No comments:

Post a Comment